Ok, just started forge seer earlier today, hopefully finish him this week. Atanas and butcher1 both need final edge highlighting and touching up and basing, then they are finished. I recently acquired a bottle of simple green and gave two of my first warjacks a quick dunk and going to start them. Then I need to finish assembly of third extreme war jack and start paint...
Painting Seers I found quite terrible. There is so much detail...so much work arghhhh
I finished my Initiates of the Order of the Wall, aka Lannister Hablerdiers. I was quite happy with those models. They are not overloaded with detail (the way some models from other companies are, GW's for example sometimes look like christmas trees when it comes to the amount of decoration). Instead they have this simple elegance, with no goofy proportions or silly poses.
I liked how they were ready for painting straight from the box (I had to remove a stray minor mould line from every third model, maybe?). To my delight I also discovered that they already come on 30mm bases!
I wonder when they will be able to actually participate in a game, though
I also did a quick job on my friend's Warhammer Fantasy Role Play RPG party (he asked me to)
My friend's group uses Scibor Miniatures models for those (and a single guy from Gloomhaven)
Have you seen the 4th ed. WFRP rulebook? It OOZES this classic, low fantasy WFRP atmosphere. And then you see the new GW poster child - Age of Sigmar... sigh :]
My plan was to knock out the GUARD fliers relatively quickly, but I've been having some trouble figuring out how to bring out the panel lines on the planes. I wanted an old-fashioned raw aluminium look, so they are basecoated silver; I tried a black wash with a silver drybrush to restore the shiny basecoat, but the result did very little to bring out the panel lines and looks kind of dirty:
For reference here's a plane with only basecoats:
I also tried applying wash directly into the panel lines, but that is a LONG and exhausting process. Here's what it looked like after several hours of "delicate" (as much as I can manage anyway) brushwork:
Despite my efforts it's pretty messy; it doesn't look as bad in real life but I still think I might have to go back and do some cleanup with silver. It's much more bold, but I'm not sure it's the way to go (even if I could be bothered to paint them all this way); it's somewhat more cartoony than I wanted; the washed plane looks more realistic and arguably looks more like a large vehicle seen from a distance than the lined one.
Also I'm thinking of using a brighter red, at least as a highlight.
Thanks Cyel, that was my thought process as well, I'm just so used to picking out all details with exaggerated shading and highlighting that it feels strange not to. Also the overdone one looks good too in it's own way.
I just feel like the washing dulls the basecoat down too much. Perhaps a heavier drybrush will help, I'll give it a try.
Week 2 largely in the books. Color shift paint still in transit so I held off on my archons....plan on doing a BUNCH I hope in week 4 of the global pandemic if the zombies are still not here. This week working on Legion of Lost Souls and, I hope, Alexia3. Will assemble Gab Thorne and the Lancer for Flames. Stare at the Toro I got used and consider stripping to match the rest of the paint scheme. Say f'it and move on.....