YAY! I get to share my opinions (my terrible, terrible opinions) on the internet!
Ranking based upon personal preference/enjoyment, not on how good they are.
1) Thyra - personal favorite, she fixes everything. Used her a lot pre-themes, with Daughters, Flame Bringers, and Knights Exemplar. 2) Kreoss3 - HORSES! Really the only time I love Vengers, but him with double-Vengers is a hoot. 3) Tristan2 - My first Dark Horse. Big ol' jack brick with double Templars, double Indictors, double Castigators. You'll lose a couple, but it's tough to crack. 4) Sevvy1 - ol' reliable. Still want to run Deliverer gunline with him, but don't own the deliverers. 5) Malekus - what can I say, I loves me some fire. He's not great, very much dependent upon his feat, but fire is still fun. 6) Harbinger - she's Harby. You know what you're getting with her (a long, long grind) 7) Vindictus - infantry swarm! I'd probably like him more if I tried him more. But I want to run him with Exemplars, so I'm stuck waiting till the CID is official. 8) Kreoss1 - Similar to Sevvy1/Harby. He's a classic and reliable, but not super exciting for me. 9) Durst - I like the IDEA of him. I just can't get him to work. 10) Reznik2 - Same as Durst. Fun idea, hard to work. 11) Feora3 - concept is cool. Only tried her once, she hasn't interested me to try again yet. 12) Reznik1 - Cool in theory, but needs some significant lovin'.
Unranked cause I haven't tried them yet. -Kreoss2. Waiting for Exemplar CID to go through, plus even then he seems overshadowed unless they do some heavy tweaking. -Feora2. Loved her in Mk2, but she lost enough in the transition that Malekus was able to take over for my fire-related needs. -Feora1. Don't own, and keep trying to make Malekus work when I want fire. Should pick her up, but have higher priority purchases. -Amon. Don't own. Want to try, but I really feel he needs Dervishes, and I don't have any. Tragic, I know. -Sevvy2. Don't own. -Reclaimer. Actually do own, got him in a lot purchase a couple years ago. No idea why I haven't tried him yet. -Reclaimer2. Don't own. -Cyrenia. Don't own.
Anywho, that's me. Obviously my preferences will go against the norm, but I likes what I likes.
Feora 1 and Testament have been my most successful casters
My go to list pairings lately has been
Testament in Faithful masses theme. Incorporeal Avatar that can ignore models for LOS with choir and Hand of Vengeance triggered is just nuts. I really want to try him out with the Exemplar Interdiction theme when the CID rules are finalized
Feora 1 (mainly with Guardians of the Temple theme)
Although I have also subbed out one or the other for on of these 2
Kreoss 1 (mainly with Faithful masses)
Severius 1 (mainly with Faithful masses)
Vindictus and High Reclaimer used to be my go to. I am interested in breaking them both out for the Exemplar them as well
Harbinger I used to run out of theme and loved it. She may see more table time with the Exemplar Theme. Haven't tried her with Faithful masses yet either
Malekus has either been amazing, or sucked. I need to play him more, but he generally seems solid if a little FOC strapped for how he is intended to be played
Kreoss 3 is kind of similar as far as my success but even more FOC strapped. I had games where he has been amazing as well as games where it made no difference that he was the caster. I mostly played out of theme with him early in MK III I've got to force myself to try playing him without Vengers, although double Vengers exmemplar interdiction is very tempting
Amon I don't own, so I can't really say one way or another
Reznik 2 I have tried several times. Never really got anything going with him, but I haven;t really given him a fair shake either
Reznik 1 I am just terrible with and I can;t find a list I feel confident in bringing with him. I think he is the caster most in need of a rework
Thrya I have only played a couple times. Just drawn more to other casters although I really want to try playing her more she seems very promising
Durst I have only played twice, and I have order of operations with him, plus he seems really really FOC strapped
Severius 2 is great, just not my preferred playstyle
Kreoss 2 I don't own and previously had no desire to, although CID has changed my interest in him. We'll have to wait and see
If the casters whom I own and have played with the most id say
1. Harbinger - she's just so strong had me going back to her time and time again.
2. High reclaimer - his feat did take a hit but hes still got a great feat and I love signs and portents and it's only getting better with the buffed
3. Severius2 - one of my personal favourites he clears infantry like a beast, 8 focus free spell and one of the best field marshalls in the game with oracular vision.
4. Thyra - it's all about delivering her or blood of matyrs to your opponents caster. She has high defence and stealth then combined with things like the warder, the vigilant or Madelyn she can be almost untouchable.
5. Amon - he plays a great jack brick everyone knows about the dervish and with synergy he just makes them shine. He also has an 15 inch personal threat you have to respect as he can lay the smackdown.
6. Durst - Initially I didn't like this guy but when the CID dropped the shield wall cinerators with deceleration are so tough to remove. He can really make the warjacks tough to remove and they can protect key pieces. I really like 2 Templars and 2 Indictor.
7. Kreoss2 - back in mark 2 I loved this guy. He took some hits and now has been given some love, he does seem to have some skornergy with the sacrosanct knockdown and auto hit feat. With the buff for the exemplars and his character jack he's definitely worth another shot.
8. Reznik2 - he looks awesome and lamentations if suffering is great that it's harder to get shots at him down range considering he's a battle engine there's nowhere for him to hide. He can tune up his Jack's and has a great feat for infantry removal. By his nature and lamentations he does like to see hordes although spellpiercer is a great spell and can make him a real pain in the mirror match.
9. Kreoss1 - everyone knows this guy and pop and drop. He does have a nasty assasination run but I think most people are already looking for ways to not have there caster knockdown which is his problem. I did enjoy him alot in mark 2 with all the mercenaries as they could solve alot of his problems like being able to shoot a caster behind a colossal, I seem to struggle for a theme for him now although the new Judicator definitely has a home here.
As of the others I've not really played them alot myself. I do know severius1 is also very strong he has a great toolkit and should be in the top 5 I think. Vindictus also can dial up our infantry. Alot of the others feel like they're lacking in some way or only do one thing and most of the time there's better options.
My favourite shortlist is: - Thyra - she plays so differently to any other caster, fast daring. I loved her in Mk2 with Flamebringers and in Mk3 she just got better. No one exepects the Spanish Inquisition? In the Protectorate no one expects Thyra, her army is all over the battlefield. Cavalry in the enemy caster's rear on turn 2? Yes please. - Durst - Yes the brick. so different in style to Thyra above. He isn't our best, but I have had great fun with him and devouts for days. - Kreoss2 - I experimented with some Venger builds with this fellow last year (yes vengers with kreoss2 not 3), was fun. But I always liked him with a horde of screaming weaponmasters hurtling towards the enemy. He wasnt the most varied caster, but now post CID he is going back to the top of my core roatation of casters.
The Best? well my opinions is: - Harbinger is still up there, especially post exemplar CID. Her feat going up to 12" gives her some game again. - Amon - Just runs jacks like no other. Synergy and the speed bump gets them where they need to be. - Vindictus - I think he can do a lot, supporting troops in many ways like Amon.
I see votes for High Reclaimer and the Sevvies, and they are great for sure, they are top rank, just didnt make my personal shortlist.
Honourable mention for Kreoss1. I like him... I keep trying to make him work well... I probably always will...............
our caster list is pretty damn solid, actually. You have a bunch fighting for the top spots and it usually depends on theme which one you are going to pick from Harby FM, Sevvy1, Vindy, and even Feora1 TG can all be power houses. The casters that suffer hard would be Malekus and Feora2, both of which just require a slight bump in order to be a top level caster. Durrant2 would also be pretty low, but he can still run a pretty decent jack list, especially when you combine him with the battle engine