Post by ForEver_Blight on Mar 29, 2017 13:39:45 GMT
So I guess I will start off with Stats and put in my opinions later. Most of the below is well known but it’s worth being comprehensive.
Kryssa is the average of all averages. Mat 7 but speed 5. Defenses are the legion standard set by Thagrosh 1 at 14/16. Fury 6. 2” reach pow 13 magic weapon.
- Set Defense – Reliance on this is like relying on a shepherd to tank a stormwall shot. Sure, it’ll work…once.
- Crit sustained attack – This is a mixed bag. When it works it’s a life saver. If you’re swinging at a def 14 or higher, you likely want to boost anyway which only increases chances for the dream to come true.
- Cloak of Ash – the defensive buff you’ll wish affected non-living models, every.single.time. Concealment against ranged. -2 to attack to living, non-fireproof, models within 2”.
- Grants a Naga or hex hunters stealth. Pushes strider units to obnoxious Def 17. Kryssa can get a reasonable Def 16. But the key advantage to this spell is the “within 2 inch” effect. Jam with Striders at Def 17. Now when a swordsman or two charge in for what damage they can get they are also Def 16. You can put a lot of infantry on the same model and if the CoA model survives it provides survivability to the others. I’ll go on more in model pros/cons.
- Howling flames – cost 3 Spray 10 pow 12 continuous fire. A good quality spell that many see as over costed and not accurate enough. Which if we had no way of modifying it that would be true. Spell Martyrs are worth their weight in gold for this spell. More in model section.
- Quickness – Ever wanted to charge something 16” away? Well if you don’t want to play Kallus 2 this is the way Kryssa gets there. 2 inches of movement per fury spent, up to 3 fury. Can only be cast once per turn. In a faction with so much focus on mobility. This is the way to make up for the speed 5.
- Tactical supremacy – Reposition 3”. Many good applications based on which model you put it on. With this and quickness Kryssa can cross 17” of open terrain with an appropriate charge target.
What everyone knows here for and is simultaneously her greatest advantage and greatest fault. All Models in Kryssa’s control range gain’s +3 strength. A Brutal damage swing but I think I look at it differently than most. Many see it as Alpha strike 101. I see it as a way to even the playing field when I’m at my weakest. I’ll go over play strategies but suffice to say when you have the least amount of damage capability is when you need her feat the most.
Most people see her as “uninteractive” or less eloquently; boring. Because most see it as she puts out her upkeeps and then camps up and at some point, pops feat. But she can clear jamming, bang up a jack under feat turn, or just completely flip the table on scenario. She has vectors that we don’t have on other casters and it all hinges on mobility.
Kryssa can put in just as much work as any other caster, but where as others focus on having a defense swing, Saeryn and Fyanna, or a better offensive push, Thagrosh 2, or a bit of both worlds, Abby 2. Kryssa has to rely on being in a better position. She can charge with an average threat of 10”, do what she needs to, and then back up a possible 9”. It costs her fury, yes, but if it’s what you need her to do she’s the only caster that can do that (since Abby 2 lost teleport and Vayl 1 isn’t affected by her own feat). That mobility is the make or break point for her. If you can’t leverage your position or your threat range, you are not going to find much success. And if you don’t want to use such tactics then yes, any other caster in Legion will just be better at using the similar tools Kryssa brings to the table.
Not to mention she still has a viable assassination threat. Though not as bonkers as Stryker2, she works similarly. Quicken gives you that no linear threat. Add to that a slipstream and you’ve got 18” threat. If you can get a shadowbind, ice cage, or knockdown (or lucky crit sustained attack) onto the enemy caster. All you need is a good line to charge and under feat your list should be quite capable of clearing one for her.